Ireland v Wales - in OXFORD.

Two Swedish friends have flown over this weekend to visit my brother and sister in law who live in Oxfordshire so I think it's best that we show them the best beer this lovely part of the world has to offer, no? Oh and take in some rugby at the same time! (Wales lost to Ireland but much to the chagrin of the English dominating the venue, the Scottish beat them to win the Calcutta Cup!)

Last night I brought a few of the Xmas left-overs including Felinfoel Double Dragon, Anchor Steam Beer from San Fran, some Box Steam Brewery bottles and some Brains Dark. That set us up nicely for....

Venue 1
TurtleBay Restaurant, Oxford
Island Records Jamaican Porter



Then it was on to what is quite possibly one of the best pubs I've ever been in, with 10 ale pumps! I started at one end and worked my way to the other! There were a couple on that I'd had before, like Titanic Plum Porter, so I passed on those and went straight for....

Pub 2
The Royal Blenheim, Oxford

White Horse Brewery Oxfordshire Bitter (served in a Nonic glass! Heavenly!)

White Horse Brewery Wayland Smithy

(White Horse was the house tap)



Portobello Central Line Red (this was nice and spicy)











Everard's Tiger Copper Ale - nice but unremarkable.











Milestone Brewery - Cupid











It was about this time that old beers were being taken off and new ones put on... so I tried a new one before it ran out -- Holy Cow from the Bridgehouse Brewery.









Pub 3
The House, Oxford

The night ended with a Guinness Surger.


I will definitely be coming back to the Royal Beaufort. What a pub!

No comments: